A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80’s, Stranger Things is the story of a young boy who vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.
For those of you who are in need of an interesting show that hangs on to your attention, I would highly recommend Stranger Things. It’s been out on Netflix for a little bit of time now and has already made an impression on viewers and theorists. I personally have run into several people who have already seen the show and agree that it’s one of the best Netflix Originals.
The show revolves around mystery and strange occurrences, hence the title. The Sci-Fi theme is brought back to life with Stranger Things leading the way, since the zombie fad is slowly dying. Four boys; Lucas, Dustin, Will, and Mike are your stereotypical nerdy bunch of cuteness. Daily, they would lock themselves in the basement of Mike’s house to play “Dungeons and Dragons”. Being the social outcasts of their school, they have no problem embracing it and living in their own world. At the start, Lucas, Dustin and Will head home leaving Mike’s house, Will encounters some spooky stuff on his way home. After ditching his bike and a spooky chase, Will arrives home in a panic, and before we know it he vanishes. Parallel to Eleven (a.k.a “El”), running through the woods escaping from some sort of experimental facility. The search for Will comes into focus, whether or not he’s alive, and if he is alive, how do they get him back?
While the kids, Will’s mother Joyce and local Police Chief Hopper, begin a hunt and start finding clues to figure out what caused Will’s disappearance. The runaway child with a tattoo of the number “011” on her arm becomes a member of their group and reveals to the boys she is more than just a little girl as the season goes on. “El” joins in on the search for Will while at the same time being a great help but also a hindrance.
Will’s mother, Joyce, goes through extreme hardship and denial that her son is dead throughout the season. However, when strange events and several light bulb moments begin happening in her home, she later realizes what she needs to do. She is then known for coming off as a tad crazy and ignored, a mother’s instinct is never wrong.
- Chief Jim Hopper: Used to be a city officer until tragedy hit his family. He moves to a small town where little action occurs.
- Joyce Byers: A single mom taking care of her two sons at the outskirts of town. She relies on the eldest son to help take care of business at home.
- Jonathan Byers: The eldest Byers son who has a knack for photography and is pretty much a longer. His skills with a camera proves of use and he ends up teaming up with Nancy in a monster hunt.
- Mike Wheeler: One of the friends of Will Byers. He’s intelligent and loyal to his friends and wont stop until Will is found.
- Dustin Henderson: Another one of Will’s friends. He is more of the outsider of the group and comes up with life saving ideas.
- Lucas Sinclair: Another friend of Will who holds a bunch of skepticism towards Eleven and her story which later causes conflict among the group.
- Eleven: The runaway girl with the tattoo “011” on her arm, joins up with Mike and the group in the search for Will and learns what it’s like to have friends.
- Nancy Wheeler: Mike’s older sister who is infatuated with the schools most popular guy, Steve. We find Nancy being a typical rebellious teen until one of her own friends goes missing, Barbara.
- Barbara Holland: A friend of Nancy, tries her best to be the goodie-goodie and notices her Nancy gravitating to another set of ‘friends’. She tries to be responsible in pointing out her friend’s flaws, but her brushed off and shoved to the side.
Theories [More Spoilers]
Keep on reading at your own risk. If you haven’t seen or completed the show yet the following are spoilers!
- Eleven is Alive: At the end of Season 1 we see Hopper leaving food for El, her favorite food being Eggo Waffles, in a lock box in the woods. We don’t know if this is some sort memorial Chief Hopper has created since he has some of his own history with his late daughter. It’s assumed El is alive and didn’t die when she destroyed the “Demogorgon” and possibly herself, here are some more spoilers if you dare. Eleven disappeared with the Demogorgon possibly parallel to present day.
- Eleven is the Demogorgon: Some speculate that Eleven is in fact some way the Demogorgon. The reasons behind this are as follows:
- After saving Mike from jumping off a cliff, Eleven says:
“I’m sorry. The gate… I opened it. I’m the monster.”
Some would take this phrase to be a metaphor, that Eleven feels as though she is a monster for having her powers. We don’t actually have confirmation if El is even aware of the possibility or maybe she says this because of her guilt and havoc she’s indirectly caused. But since Eleven is connected to the Upside Down, it could be possible that the Demogorgon is a part of her. Furthermore, the Duffer brothers confirmed that the Upside Down was partly inspired by the Silent Hill video games. One specific piece that kind of gives it away is the monsters in Silent Hill are a part of your own psychosis, there’s some deeper meaning there.
- Eleven never met Will, yet she was able to recognize him in a picture. Will was in the Upside Down for the entire season until he was rescued by his Mom and Hopper. Thus there was no way Eleven could have seen him unless she had eyes in the Upside Down. Meaning the Demogorgon could’ve been her other form.
- The Demogorgon hunts like a shark. When it smells blood it comes for the injured animal or person. Yet, whenever Eleven uses her powers her nose bleeds and the Demogorgon never comes for her.
- After saving Mike from jumping off a cliff, Eleven says:
- Will Byers is STILL part of the Upside Down: When Will was found in the Upside Down by Joyce and Hopper, he was covered in an alien-like slime and tentacle engulfing his body. In the last scenes of season one, we see him coughing up what looks like the monster goop and the lights flicker on and off. It’s rumored that Will may be part Demogoran now, or maybe he never actually fully left the Upside Down.
- Hopper works for the Government: We see Sheriff Hopper drive off with some guys in suits at the end of the final episode. He had previously made a deal with them to gain access to the Upside Down to find Will. So this could possibly lead to some interesting complications in season two.
Season 2 Confirmed
Stranger Things is a pretty awesome show. It keeps you wanting more and each episode holds a lot of action. I’m excited for season 2 and I really want to know if Eleven will make an appearance. As far as Will possibly having some presence in the Upside Down, this could be the new path the show may focus on.
Season 2 will arrive sometime in 2017. You can catch Stranger Things on Netflix now!