Graywalkers: Purgatory is a successful Kickstarter funded turn-based RPG that is set in a post-apocalyptic world. Where the majority of it is either a desolate wasteland, ruins or under control from supernatural beings like demons and vampires. “Purgatory” is a safe zone which is set within the mysterious area known to us as the Bermuda Triangle. A land mass formed during a cataclysmic event called “The Rupture”.
Details Graywalkers: Purgatory
- Title: Graywalkers: Purgatory
- Studio Name: Dreamlords Digital
- Publisher: Plug In Digital
- Platforms: PC, possible mobile ports also have been discussed
- Price: TBC
- Release Date: 2018
- Genre(s): RPG, Turn-based, adventure, fantasy
About Graywalkers: Purgatory
Graywalkers is a 3D turn-based RPG with deep strategic elements akin to titles such as XCOM. Set within a dark post-apocalyptic landscape where you must fight off all manner of vile creatures to survive.
What makes Graywalkers interesting is how much Dreamlords Digital wants to get the community involved. It’s taken them 17 years to get the game where it is now and they want to get their community involved as a thanks for the support. They have called community interaction an integral part of their development plan.
Generally, I am cautious when a developer takes this approach, as this has more often than not meant that they have basically run out of ideas, and need the community to finish it off. With most of the time the title ending with its content game being a bit scattered or unfinished which leads to a weak product.
Graywalkers also offers choices and then the consequences that comes with them, there is no intention to force the players down a linear path only where they should start. It is then up to them to determine the best routes to take and how to go about their objectives, along with dealing with the repercussions that go alongside the decisions they make.
Main Features: Graywalkers: Purgatory
- Custom Hero – Your player character is a special one, even among Graywalkers. He is customizable, where you can choose his or her gender, race, appearance, path, skills and special abilities.
- Races – You can be Human or one of the Hybrids, like the Cambion, Nephilim, Dhampir, Wolfkin and Hunterborne.
- Character Paths – “Paths” are the equivalent to classes in typical RPGs. Choose a path to take such as the magic-wielding Arcanist, the weapon master Armsmen, the stealthy Agents, the spiritually blessed Diviners, the firearms expert Soldiers, the hand-to-hand specialist Martialist, the perceptive Scouts, the versatile Adventurers, the intelligent Techs, and the lucky Survivors.
- Recruitment – Find, convince and recruit your Graywalker team members from a pool of at least 50+ playable NPCs, each with their own style, personality, motivation, relationships and history.
- Levels & Experience – Gain experience points through missions and improve your characters skills and abilities each time you level up.
- Strategic Management – Manage your resources, personnel, influence, technology, research, crafting and scavenging.
- Exploration – Explore a country sized island with different regions, each filled with interesting locations to visit, scavenge in, influence and control.
- Strategic Bases – Find and capture strategic points that can act as base of operations where you can rest, recuperate, rearm and reorganize. Defend these operational bases from attacks and prevent enemies from retaking it from your control.
- Resources – Scavenge for resources, rebuild lost technology, recover ancient relics of power, and research entirely new technologies that fuse the powers of ancient magic and known science.
- Crafting – Many things you find in the world are useful in that they can be used to build certain things. To create more exotic items, you need to have the blueprints or formula for it and the needed skill sets.
- Vehicles – Acquire vehicles to increase your speed of travel between locations on the map and carry more equipment–or maybe even use them in combat.
- Combat Choices – When in combat, you can choose the quick and easy Strategic Combat or the down and dirty Turn-based Tactical Combat.
- Special Abilities – Each character has a list of special abilities which are dependent on his Race, Path and Style.
Current Thoughts on Graywalkers: Purgatory
Although I have yet to get my mitts on Graywalkers, it already strongly appeals to me and I can see it becoming a great title with rich lore behind it.
I do feel however that the look of it could do with being tweaked, it is made in the Unity engine. The fantastic works of the Unity Engine allows the crew at Dreamlords to use every bit of this engine to make the game come to life.
Dreamlords Digital have told us that at present they are working on an alpha version of the game but it isn’t yet released. They are aiming for between February-March time. If we’re lucky enough to get hold of the alpha version, you’ll be the first to know!
Graywalkers: Purgatory is going to be released on PC (steam) in 2018 with the hopes of being ported to mobile tablets once the PC release is solid enough. You can check out the latest news on the game either via their Twitter or website.