We’ve seen many great horror sci-fi games over the years, from classic horrors featuring Isaac Clarke in Dead Space to the more recently loved underwater psychological horror SOMA. Hollow is an upcoming sci-fi/horror/adventure from publisher, Forever Entertainment S.A. and developer MMEU (The Sparkle Zero) and hopes to give you chills and thrills when it hits Steam later this year.
- Title: Hollow
- Publisher: Forever Entertaintment S.A.
- Developer: MMEU
- Platforms: PC (Steam), Xbox and PS4, Nintendo Switch possibly at a later date.
- Engine: Unreal Engine 4
- Price: TBC
- Release Date: Q2 2017
- Genre(s): Action; Adventure; Violent; Gore
Minimum system requirements Hollow
- OS: Windows 7
- Processor: Intel Core i5-4440 (or equivalent)
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics: GeForce GTX 660, AMD Radeon HD 7850
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 10 GB available space
Hollow is a horror/sci-fi FPS set within the mining space station called “Shakhter-One” that orbits Jupiter collecting valuable resources.
The player controls a nameless pilot who is tasked with regular cargo from Shakhter-One to Earth. One day he awakens to find himself inside an emergency capsule drifting nearby to the vessel and the only thing he can remember is an auto-pilot code… “NR 6”.
In Hollow, the player will discover dark mysteries and have to find answers to questions like why has Shakhter-One been abandoned so abruptly?
The player will be forced to take an in-your-face combat style when tackling enemies as it seems that the only weapon you have (from what I’ve personally seen from trailers) is something called a “pinner” which only has a five-shot capacity. “Run and gun” simply will not work here, so you must utilize your environment to solve tricky areas where five rounds won’t do the trick. Perhaps blowing up a few gas canisters will…
Main Features Hollow
- Explore a derelict mining facility in orbit around Jupiter.
- Wade through nightmares to solve the Shakhter-One mystery.
- Enter open battle or use environment as your ally while fighting your fears.
- Solve puzzles and use your brain to proceed.
- Master In-Your-Face gun combat to survive.
- Reveal deep engaging backstory of protagonist and set him free… or don’t.
Current Thoughts on Hollow
Seeing as Hollow isn’t out yet and won’t be until the Q2 2017 period I cannot give you any short gameplay thoughts. However what I can give you is my thoughts based on that 20min gameplay video (see above).
I was glued to the video from the offset, the Unreal 4 engine really does do horror well and developer MMEU have really pushed the engine to some great limits to show off just how gloomy and scary the engine can go.
Hollow gives us a major Dead Space vibe. Is it because it’s set on a mining vessel or it’s because the enemies and gameplay seem familiar? Either way, I enjoyed every second of that video and after watching it, you only want more and I’m very much looking forward to playing it.