During today’s developer update, Mercy mains are either going to panic or not with the recent changes Jeff Kaplan explained.
Mercy’s Big Changes, The Quick & Dirty
- Resurrect will be a second ability, your “E”, no longer her ultimate
- This will refresh at the moment of using her ultimate
- Single-target, cool down instantly reset, a common ability
- Valkyrie is Mercy’s new ultimate
- Guardian Angel will have a further range
- Damage and healing Beams will change to multiple targets, healing all within range
- Instantly resets Resurrect when activated, reduced to 10s after initial cast
- “Battle” Mercy’s will have a better gun, faster shooting and more damage, hooray!
- Fly! Mercy can now fly freely
How this effects the team
Blizzard feels it’s disheartening to tell a Mercy player to quit healing and make sure their Mercy won’t die. Kaplan says this is a weird moment, “Die on the point, I have rez!”. Mercy is a main healer, so this mechanic will effectively unite everyone naturally.
“While resurrecting downed allies is a core part of Mercy’s gameplay, the way her Ultimate functioned was causing a number of problems. It was frustrating to play against, and it incentivized Mercy players to hide away from important battles, instead of taking part in them. This version turns Resurrect into a single target ability. It’s still an important part of Mercy’s kit, but plays much better for both Mercy players and her enemies. Valkyrie, her new Ultimate, gives her the opportunity to make big game-making plays and opens a number of new options for her.” More on the Overwatch blog.
Head over to YouTube to watch the developer update, we shared the time stamps for more information about the changes.
00:38 – Why are we changing Mercy in the first place?
02:28 – Resurrect is now Mercy’s second ability (default: E)
03:17 – Introducing Mercy’s new ultimate: Valkyrie!
05:35 – We’ll be experimenting with how Resurrect and Valkyrie interact on the PTR
06:21 – We’re really looking forward to your feedback on these changes
The recent changes for Mercy are now live in the Public Test Region (PTR), check her out now!